Friday, April 9, 2010

Fight depression: Every day tips

This is a pretty good article I came across today at www.health.com: "10 No-Cost Strategies to Fight Depression." It details a few simples steps to take that may help diminish mild depression. One of the tips is to maintain a routine. I know that if I have a few extra days off or I'm home sick, it seems so much more difficult to go back to my regular work and exercise routine. Of course one needs to take care of herself when sick, but sometimes forcing myself out of bed in the morning and going about my day as if I'm feeling 100 percent can lead to me actually feeling happier and more like myself.

Exercising is another good tip. I would add that it helps to find exercise that you truly enjoy. I know that it can be hard to get myself to work out sometimes, but just getting changed into my workout clothes is often the most difficult step. Once I'm changed and ready to go, I do it and I feel so good (most of the time). Afterwards I feel great. If I dreaded every workout and hated it throughout the entire session, it would be so much more difficult to continue to do it! Look into yoga classes, dance classes, walking with a friend, doing push ups while you watch TV...anything that you might actually keep up with and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment